With business bookkeeping and basic tax tips for new and old entrepenuers

Monday, November 10, 2008

What to write in your check register

From: Business School 101

and Alamo Bookkeeping Associates

Alright so now you have started using your business checking account for your business purchases. So what are you suppose to write in the little book the bank gives you called a check register?

Here is what you should be writing:

The date of the purchase.

The name of the store/business you purchased from.

The amount.

Why you bought it.

Example: 3/27/06 Office Depot $50.00

Sign for Window.

Try to do this at the time of purchase so you don't forget. It is a lot harder to try to remember a month later what you bought where and for what reason. This information is important for bookkeeping and tax purposes because expenses are placed in categories (more on this in a future posting).

I also recommend that if you buy something for cash (some places will not take checks) that you also write that down in your check register and note it is a cash purchase, that way you don't forget to include it in your expenses for bookkeeping.

Next: What do I do with all the receipts?

1 comment:

  1. Hey
    sory to write to you like this, but i could not find the contact form. I really like your blog and i was wondering if you would maybe like a link exchange with my website
    www.sayeconomy.com
    . My site has many good articles and gets many new visitors each day. I think we would both benefit out of this exchange alot.

    Next to link exchange i would like to offer you an option to publish some articles of yours about economy on my blog, send them to me and i will publish them. You can add link to your blog under each article and i will publish it as a source.

    Well let me know on info@sayeconomy.com . I would really like a link exchange with your blog (i like it alot).

    Thank you in advance for your reply.

    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete